How to make a healthy pasta bake…
A pasta bake is a great one pot meal that is sure to go down well with all the family.
- 2 Saucepans/1 Saucepan and a crock pot
- Casserole dish/crock pot
- Oven + Hob
- Your Ingredients! (full list below)
- Something to stir with
- Knife for chopping
Find a Healthy Pasta Bake recipe
(or read on for our step-by step guide)
Choose your ingredients, you’ll need:
Use whichever oil you have, We like olive oil, avocado or coconut oil
Making a pasta bake without pasta is tricky. You can use any variety you wish/that you’ve got but we recommend a wholemeal or spelt penne.
You’ll need to make a basic sauce to coat the pasta. You can pick up a jar, or make your own very simple sauce
Add some Veggies
A pasta bake is the perfect way to increase your veg count. Pick 2-3 of your favourite veg. We like mushrooms, broccoli, spinach, kale, peas, green beans, peppers, courgette
Add a healthy protein (optional)
The best proteins for this job are those which come ready cooked. A can of tuna or salmon works a treat, you could also use chorizo, ham or Quorn. You could also pre-cook pretty much any meat or veggie alternative that you choose.
Pack in some extra flavour by sprinkling your favourite cheese on the top. It could be anything from cheddar to stilton, but we’d recommend mozzarella or goats cheese. Go easy on the cheese, a little goes a long way when it has melted.
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees
- Cook your pasta in slightly salted water in one of the saucepans
- Cut your veg into pieces and fry for a few minutes in a little oil in the other saucepan or a crock pot
- Add your sauce
- Add your protein (optional)
- Transfer it all to a casserole dish (or leave it in the crockpot)
- Sprinkle your cheese over the top
- Pop it in the oven for 15-20 mins
- More tips below
Tips for cooking:
- Check if your meat is cooked by cutting into it and making sure there are no pink bits left, leave it a bit longer if you’re unsure
- You can add your favourite herbs and spices, click on the links for guides about what goes with what
- You can add flavour by adding chopped garlic, onions or shallots to your pan before adding your veg and sauce, just fry them gently until they turn see through
- Serve it up with a lovely warm salad.