Healthy Soup Instructions
- Deep Saucepan
- Your Ingredients! (full list below)
- Something to stir with (a spoon, spatula etc)
Find a Healthy Soup recipe
(or read on for our step-by step guide)
Choose your ingredients, you’ll need:
Use whichever oil you have, We like olive oil, avocado or coconut oil
You can use a stock cube/stock pot or your own homemade stock if you have it. We’d recommend using a stock that matches your other ingredients, it could be beef, lamb, chicken, vegetable or fish.
Base Veg (optional)
We’d recommend some base veg to flavour your soup. We like: Onions, garlic, celery, shallots.
Pick a range of vegetables (3-4 is a good number) and cut them into even pieces. Our favourites are: Carrot, sweet potato, potato, peppers, onions, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, parsnips, squash, swede, cabbage, kale, spinach
Pick a healthy protein (optional)
If you want to add a protein source, cut it into even sized cubes (an inch or so). We’d recommend chicken, other lean meat, bacon, lentils, chickpeas, beans (butter/cannellini/kidney), fish or prawns.
Pick a healthy Carb (optional)
Choose a carbohydrate like noodles, mini pasta or bread. We’d recommend udon noodles, or a chunk of great wholemeal bread. N.B. You might not need one if you’ve put carbs (like potatoes) in the soup already!
- Gently fry your base veg in some oil in your saucepan
- Add your protein to the saucepan, and fry for a few minutes (if it isn’t already cooked)
- Add your chunks of veg to the pot
- Pour in 1 litre of stock for each stock cube you use
- Reduce the heat, put the lid on the saucepan and simmer for at least 20 minutes
- Test the meat and veg to see how cooked it is, leave it a bit longer if you’re not sure (anything up to an hour will be ok)
- Serve up with your chosen carb (optional)
- More tips below
Tips for cooking:
- Check if your meat is cooked by cutting into it and making sure it is cooked through
- You can add your favourite herbs and spices, click on the links for guides about what goes with what. We love using a Bouquet Garni (mix of dried herbs), we even give them out at our events!
- You can stick the final soup into a food blender if you want a smooth soup
- You can make it look fancy by drizzling a little olive oil over the top or adding a little creme fraiche and a sprig of parsley